The director ID was introduced as part of the Government’s Modernisation of Business Registers (MBR) Program.
Launched in November 2021, this initiative was pushed to help regulators easily trace directors’ relationships with companies over time, boost transparency, and prevent fraud and other unlawful activities.
The director ID is a 15-digit, lifetime unique identifier provided to directors. This is required for all directors, including alternate directors who are acting in that capacity, of:
- a company;
- a registered foreign company;
- a registered Australian body; and
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander corporation
How to set up a director ID
Step 1: Set up myGovID
First, you need to validate your identity using the myGovID app. You may download the app on your smartphone and set it up with a Standard or Strong identity strength. If you live outside Australia, you will need to apply with a paper form and provide certified copies of your identity documents.
Step 2: Provide your documents
The following will be required to process your application:
- Tax file number (TFN)
- Residential address as held by the ATO
- Information to verify your identity (You may present any two of these documents: bank account details, ATO notice of assessment, super account detail, dividend statement, Centrelink payment summary, or PAYG payment summary.)
Step 3: Complete your application
Once your myGovID is all set up, you may now log in and apply for a director ID on the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) website. Your director ID will be immediately displayed on the screen when you’re done entering all the necessary details.
When to apply for director ID
For Corporation ACT directors, if you are:
- Appointed on or before 31 October 2021, you need to apply by 30 November 2022
- Appointed between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022, you need to apply within 28 days of your appointment
- Appointed from 5 April 2022, you need to apply before your appointment
For CATSI directors, if you are:
- Appointed on or before 31 October 2022, you must apply by 30 November 2023
- Appointed from 1 November 2022, you must apply before your appointment
Keep in mind that only company directors can apply for their own director ID and no one can apply on their behalf. Ensure you follow this new legislation to avoid any civil and criminal penalties due to non-compliance. Reach out to us if you have any questions regarding the director ID.